The Haitian Times (haitiantimes.com)–an English-language digital news publication based in Brooklyn, New York–is seeking General Assignment Reporters across the U.S. to join its
team. We endeavor to provide nuanced reporting about Haiti, chronicle the journey of Haitians in America and elevate emerging journalists into skilled, ethical practitioners of the trade.
As a freelance General Assignment Reporter, you will pitch, report and write compelling
stories about Haitians navigating life in cities and towns across America. You may need to take reporting trips to new or interesting parts of the U.S. where Haitians are settling or assimilating.
To be successful, you must have at least one of these three core requirements: Solid journalism skills (i.e., interviewing, research and writing), knowledge of Haiti or Haitian culture, or insights
into the local community you’d propose to cover.
● Travel to and report from an established or burgeoning Haitian community in a particular
part of America
● Interview people in English or Creole (with interpretation assistance, if necessary)
● Research, analyze data and fact-check information to support stories
● Work with editors to conceptualize pitches, coverage plans and revisions
● Shoot photos, record simple videos and collect/source other visual assets
● Work with the social team to amplify stories across platforms and audiences
● Strong journalism or writing background
● A self-starter with a strong drive for enterprise stories and the curiosity to match
● Experience with Google Drive, WordPress (or other CMS) and social media platforms
● Basic photo capturing and editing skills
● Fluency in Creole and SEO knowledge preferred, but not required
● Ability to connect with the editorial team in a virtual / remote newsroom
● $750.00 – $1,000.00 per story/package, commensurate with experience and pitch
To apply, please send your resume and 3-5 samples max to email@example.com
with the subject line: Freelance GA Reporter Position_Last Name.