If you’re looking for the perfect holiday dish, look no further than this rich and tasty cake that’s relatively easy to make.
3 cups of water
7 ½ pounds of cassava
3–4 coconuts with milk inside
3 tablespoons all spice
4 tablespoons cinnamon
1 whole grated nutmeg or 2 teaspoons
6 cups brown sugar
3 teaspoons of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grate cassava with a fine grater
- Pick out chunks that remain and squeeze liquid out of cassava.
- Prepare coconut milk: Cut open and blend together raw coconut and coconut milk and add 3 cups of water.
- Strain coconut chunks and squeeze out remaining milk.
- Bring to boil 1 cup of brown sugar with coconut milk, and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- The mixture should change to a brownish colour.
- Add seasonings to the grated cassava and mix thoroughly, picking out any chunks seen.
- Skim off the top one cup of coconut milk mixture for basting the cake and set aside.
- Add remainder of coconut mixture one cup at a time stirring each cup up ot a minute.
- Add only enough coconut mixture to bring the cassava mixture to a loose oatmeal consistency.
- For more moisture is needed boil 1–2 cups and add as necessary.
- Remove any chunks of cassava as they float to the top.
- Add all spice and cinnamon to taste.
- Baste in a large 13.24 inch pan with cup of the coconut mixture, then pour cassava mixture into the pan.
- Bake for 3 hour, checking every 15–20 minutes after 2 hours. Baste with remainder of coconut juice throughout the last hour of baking.