haitian migrants del rio
Haitians released from the border board a bus in Del Rio, Texas, on Sept. 23. Photo by Leonardo March

Overview:

The Biden administration’s new process for Haitian and other immigrants for temporary work requires financial sponsorship and encourages transitional support.

Thousands of Haitian families and friends across the United States, Haiti and other parts of the Americas spent the weekend excitedly searching for information about becoming a financial supporter, or sponsor, to would-be immigrants. The flurry of inquiries follows the Biden Administration’s Jan. 5 immigration announcement that it would turn back migrants from the land borders and implement a program that could bring as many as 720,000 people into the country over the next two years.

The process, detailed by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the White House, allows up to 30,000 Haitians, Nicaraguans, Venezuelans and Cubans per month, beginning Jan. 6, to enter the U.S. They will be allowed to enter and work in the U.S. if they have eligible sponsors who pledge support to them financially and pass security vetting.

DHS has not yet set a limit on the overall number of beneficiaries or length of time this program will continue as it monitors the impact.

The following is based on announcements by DHS and the White House and are subject to change as more details are released.

Program application basics

To become a financial supporter, an aspiring sponsor must initiate the process by completing Form I-134A. The application process is free and must be completed online, according to the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS), a DHS agency. [See below for step-by-step details]

Fluent English speakers should be able to complete the form in less than one hour if they have all necessary documents handy.

How long the government will take to process the influx of applications is not yet known. The government’s website does not say.

Important Note: The person sponsored, also referred to as the beneficiary, must follow a separate process to secure a visa to enter the U.S., if their sponsor is approved.

Haitian asylum seekers
Migrants family heading to the U.S. Southern Border in 2021 through dangerous trips from South and Central America. A new parole program would allow U.S.-based family and friends to apply for entry of those who might otherwise travel by land to the U.S. Illustration by The Haitian Times

Who may become a financial supporter (sponsor)

U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents — people who have been granted a Green Card, Temporary Protected Status (TPS), asylum relief, deferred action or Deferred Enforced Departure — may become sponsors. Organizations or multiple individuals for one beneficiary are also eligible.

A supporter must reside in the U.S. and agree to financially support each potential immigrant — even children under 18 — as an individual beneficiary for the duration of the parole period. The status usually lasts one year, sometimes two.

The USCIS website for Form I-134A does not indicate a specific income level or financial resources required of a supporter. However, Emanuel Depas, a New York-based immigration attorney, said that in past immigration sponsorship cases, a sponsor’s annual income would need to be at 125% of the federal poverty guidelines. As of March, 2022, if there were two in the sponsor’s household, that would mean $22,887.

Examples of support a sponsor might provide, include:

• Receiving the immigrant upon arrival and transporting them to initial housing;
  • Ensuring safe and appropriate housing and initial basic necessities.
  • Helping the beneficiary complete paperwork for employment authorization, Social Security card and other services.
  • Ensuring health care and medical needs are met.
  • Assisting with accessing education, learning English, securing employment and enrolling children in school.

More than 200,000 Americans have signed up to sponsor Ukrainians seeking refuge in the U.S. under the Uniting for Ukraine program. Welcome.US, a national nonprofit that was originally started to help resettle Afghan refugees, is helping connect Ukrainians in need of sponsors with U.S. residents looking to help.

“It provides an avenue for Americans who don’t have a direct connection in the place to be able to sponsor someone from that place,” Cecilia Muñoz, co-chair of Welcome.US.

Now, as the U.S. is opening the program to Haitians, Welcome.US is working to get their content in Creole they said. Haitians who may not know someone in the U.S., or know someone with the financial means, might benefit.

And they also want to call forward more sponsors and to look at their website for more info on how to become one.

“It’s a serious commitment,” Muñoz added. “You are [offering] to receive someone and make sure that they are okay, that they have a good spirit, that they have adequate housing and that they have what they need to be successful here.”

Financial requirements for sponsorship

The U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) site has not indicated as of this writing what level of support is required to apply to support a family member or friend.

Completing the correct financial support form

To complete Form I-134A, which must be filed online, follow these steps:

1. Create a USCIS account by linking here and scrolling halfway down the page to the blue highlighted box, “File Online.”
  2. There, enter an email and password, which will be confirmed in a two-step authentication process.
  3. Find Form I-134A on the site.
    1. Do not confuse it with Form I-134, which is the initial paperwork for Venezuelans.
    2. Do not confuse it with Form I-864, which is a contract with the federal government for financial support, but not a pathway towards a permanent residence card, or Green Card.
  4. Complete the form online and attach or upload the appropriate supporting documents such as bank statements, employment and salary verification and recent income tax return.

What happens after submitting the application

Once the application is received, the U.S. government vets aspiring supporters to ensure they have the financial means to support the intended immigrant.

If the application pushes forward, USCIS may require fingerprints, photograph or signature to verify a supporter’s identity and obtain additional information. During the biometrics appointment, supporters will be asked to reaffirm their understanding and commitment to support the immigrant they’re sponsoring.

A Haitian woman walks along Central Poniente Ave. in Tapachula in 2021. Although the numbers of Haitians in Tapachula has diminished, between 4,000 and 7,000 Haitians live in the city. Most are waiting for immigration documents to travel to other cities.

Tracking the application online

Throughout the process, applicants can track their cases online through their USCIS account, respond to official requests for additional information or learn the federal agency’s final decision.

Applicants for the supporter role may call the USCIS Contact Center at 800-375-5283. For TTY (deaf or hard of hearing) 800-767-1833. A secure message can be sent through a person’s USCIS account. The Frequently Asked Questions section provides information.

Free legal clinics in various communities or licensed, reputable attorneys can also provide guidance.

CBPOne app is not for potential sponsors

The CBPOne app is not for people applying to become financial supporters, and should not be confused with the online application available on USCIS.gov. CBPOne comes into play for the traveler only after the federal government approves that person’s financial supporter.

CBPOne serves migrant travelers, such as those en route via land through South or Central America to Mexico, who may need a variety of Customs and Border Protection Services. The app directs each type of user to the services based on their needs. For example, land travelers can use it to submit their traveler information in advance, prior to their border crossing into the United States.

Beware of immigration scams

As with many immigration processes, people try to take advantage of others, requesting application fees when there are none, providing inaccurate directions or stealing private documents.

“Beware of any scams or potential exploitation by anyone who asks for money associated with participation in this process,” the official USCIS website warns.

Only an attorney or accredited representative working for a Department of Justice recognized organization can give legal advice.

Ashley Miznazi contributed to this article

The word “parole” was removed from the article to avoid confusion with its other uses in immigration.

Avatar photo

J.O. Haselhoef is the author of “Give & Take: Doing Our Damnedest NOT to be Another Charity in Haiti.” She co-founded "Yonn Ede Lot" (One Helping Another), a nonprofit that partnered with volunteer groups in La Montagne ("Lamontay"), Haiti from 2007-2013. She writes and lives in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Join the Conversation

35 Comments

1. When I read the government announcement of the program, it said a Visa would not be required, but a valid passport would be.

2. i am very glad to have this opportunity to find this site , good job for anyone of the team ,may god bless anyone, am haitian ,i am sicking a sponsor for the biden’process parole ,please talk to me, how you can help me , for realise this great dream ?
    thanks for your attention to me, have a great day

3. God bless America, especially each of you who have taken the initiative to help those who don’t have anyone in the US or who don’t have qualified people to help them with the PAROLE program. I am Haitian and I would like to find a sponsor for me and my family, we are three (my wife, my daughter and me). Already I say thank you for your generosity and understanding. God bless you. for any info contact me on (829)6396697

4. I am so gladfully to find your site. I am a single woman with two boys under 10 years old. I am definitely looking for a sponsor to support my sons and me for the process parole.
    I am currently in Dominican Republic, I am psychologist, and I have a lot of experiences working with PVIH, I have intermediate English level.
    I really hope that you will be able to help me.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Marie Bruno

5. Hi! May God bless you for this opportunity name is Kasandra I live in Haiti I’m looking for a sponsor because I want to come and get a job in the US. Please help me, my phone number is (509) 4285****

The Haitian Times has edited this comment to remove the person’s phone number as a protective measure.”

6. Hi communitysponsorship! My name is Olsen Charles am a young Haitian aged 28, I live in Haiti, I apologize for writing to you, so even if we don’t really know each other, I know in life you always have to try, that you don’t try anything. So I would like someone to sponsor me in the i-134A program to come at USA and begin a new life, please help me , I’m waiting for your positive response,
    Olsen from Haiti thinks a lot.

7. Veniel Saint Louis Ciceron
    Jan 19/ 2023 at 6:00 pm

God bless _America specially each of you who have taken the initiative yo help us with_ the Parole Program.
    I am Haitian and I would like to find a sponsor for help me.
    Already I say thank You for your generosity and understanding.
    God bless You more.

For any info contact me on +569920***** (watsapp)

8. Dalcine Romelus
    Jan 19/ 2023 at 6:00pm

I am very glad to have this opportunity to find this site. Good Job for anyone of the Team. May Good bless anyone.
    I am Haitian and I am looking for a sponsor for the Biden’s process Parole.
    Help me please for realise this great Drean.
    Thank You for your attention.
    God bless You.

My number phone is……+569350*****

9. Buenas noches , estoy en busqueda un patrocinador. Soy un joven terminé mis estudios clasico . Quisiera ir en la universidady tener una mejor vida. Gracias por su ayuda

10. Good afternoon, I’m looking for a sponsor to help me get to the United States. I need a change of life. I’m a young man. I finished my class. I need to study something.

11. Dave Stephen saint hubert :jan 21,2023 at 20:21 I’m looking for a sponsor to help me gen to the united states.Ineed a change of life.l’m a young man.l finshed my class .l need to study something

12. I am franklin pierre,i am very glad to have this opportunity to find this site. Good Job for anyone of the Team. May Good bless anyone.
    I am Haitian and I am looking for a sponsor for the Biden’s process Parole.
    Help me please for realise this great Drean.
    Thank You for your attention.
    God bless You.

My number phone is……5699152****

13. Jan 21 / 2023

For more informations : my first mame is woodly
    My last mame is saintima . I am a single. Bon repos route onaville, imp: Union #16/ State Haïti port-au prince. My pasport number isTB5209417 and my phone number is 5094703****

14. Jan 29 / 2023 at 12:00 pm

God bless America specially each of you who have taken the initiative to help us with the Parole Program.
    First I am Haitian and I would like to find a sponsor for help me. For more informations :
    My first name is saintamene. My last name is Marilus. I am married. I live on calle la vega 207 ,street at ap / State talcahuano of Chili. My pasport number is R1082**** and my phone number is +5693549****

I really hope that You Will be able to help men,Alazy Diemps.
    Thank You in advance for your help.

God bless You for your support.

15. Lettre Pou yon célibataire.

Jan 21 / 2023

For more informations : my first mame is Maken-son.
    My last mame is Gabriel. I am a single. I live in valiente unlichen ********* at *****/ State tomé of Chili. My pasport number is Gv5387***** and my phone number is 569644****.

I really hope that You Will be able to help me.
    Thank You in advance for your help.
    God bless You.

16. Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Jan 25/2023

For more informations : my first mame is Blancfort.
    My last mame is Adeline. I am a single. I live in 33 Bis rue Amiral ave magloire amboise carrefour-feuilles / State port au prince of Haíti. My pasport number is PP488**** and my phone number is 5093854****.

I really hope that You Will be able to help me.
    Thank You in advance for your help.
    God bless You.

17. Je m’appelle Joseph Calixte . Je suis un haïtien , je voudrais trouver un parrain pour me supporter dans le programme . Mon numéro de téléphone est : 36 28 ****. Merci d’avance pour votre aide .

18. Jan 25 / 2023 at 7:00 pm

My first name is Diemps. My last name is Alazy. I am married. I live and calle la vega 207 talcahuano / State talcahuano of Chili. My pasport number is R 11203340and my phone number is 56935493053

I really hope that You Will be able to help me.
    Thank You in advance for your help.

God bless You for your support.

19. Jan 26/ 2023

For more informations : my first mame is Emile
    My last mame is jean Eubert . I am a single. Villa venus nomber 354/ concepción chile. My pasport number is CL 5349833and my phone number is 56933181536

20. 26 de enero de 2023

Estoy tan contenta de encontrar su sitio. Primero soy haitiano. Definitivamente estoy buscando un patrocinador que me apoye para el proceso de libertad condicional.
    Para más información: mi primer mame es jeudi
    Mi último mame es Nadine. Estoy soltero pero tengo mi hijo megustaria viaje con el se llama Georges mawens. Mi dirección Delmas33 geral batalle.State Haïti port-au prince. Mi número de pasaporte es PV541****. mi número de teléfono es 5093439****
    The Haitian Times ha editado este comentario para eliminar el número de teléfono de la persona como medida de protección.

21. Mogene dorcilier
    Jan. 26, 2023 at 11:14 pm
    God bless America, especially each of you who have taken the initiative to help those who don’t have anyone in the US or who don’t have qualified people to help them with the PAROLE program. I am Haitian and I would like to find a sponsor for me and my family, we are three (my wife, my daughter and me). Already I say thank you for your generosity and understanding. God bless you. for any info contact me on 5697835**** chile
    My nomber pasport R1038****

22. Jan 25 , 2023 at ,12:20 pm

I am very glad to find your site. I am Haitian and I am looking for a sponsor to support me for the Parole Program. For more informations.
    My first name is Rejette. My last name is Emile François. I am born the June 08, 1984 in the State Torbeck / Haiti.
    I am married and I have a girl Midjunie Emile.
    I live in the State Torbeck Town Cayes / Haití.
    My pasport number is.
    Cy485**** and number pasport midjunie Emile GV517**** my phone number is (509)4366 ****.
    I hope that You will be able to help me please.

God bless You

23. 26 de enero de 2023

Para más información: mi primer mame es Emile jean
    Mi último mame es Eubert. Estoy soltero. Start chile concepción villa venus ***. Mi número de pasaporte es CL534**** y mi número de teléfono es 5693318****

24. Jan 26 / 2023

For more informations : my first mame is Jeff shovery
    My last mame is Dort . I am a single. Verrette rue stenio vincent#161/ State Haïti les cayes. My pasport number isR1131**** and my phone number is 5093142****

25. Jan 29/01 /2023
    Hi! May God bless you for this opportunity name is Hilaire sergo I live in Haiti I’m looking for a sponsor because I want to come and get a job in the US. Please help me, my phone number is (509) 3229****
    My pasport is CY 569****

26. Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Jan 29 / 01/2023

For more informations : my first mame is Clerger
    My last mame is Venante. I am a single. I live in Bergeaud entre sanatoruim nomber6 of Au cayes Haití. My pasport number is R 1106**** and my phone number is 509 3253****

I really hope that You Will be able to help me.
    Thank You in advance for your help.
    God bless You.

27. I am so gladfuly to find your site. First I am Haitian. I am definitely looking for a sponsor to support me for the process Parole.
    For more informations : my first mame is Fritzlene
    My last mame is Destima . I am a single. State Haïti port-au prince. My pasport number is R1000**** and my phone number is 509 35 19 ****

28. hello how are you, please can you help me. I have two nieces without parents on my responsibility and I need a sponsor to help us or help me to enter the USA in order to be able to meet their needs. thank you for understanding God bless you

29. Hi everyone . My name is Simon evens I’m from Haiti so today I just want ask us same help for the program USA of moment but I don’t know if our have a good heart for that because now I have many problems of Haiti I need help another people now I’m not living well, I need security so I cannot find security I need work I cannot work so now I can’t make nothing for myself of the situation but country that I’m here I am waiting help someone anytime

30. Jan 31/01/2023

Your comment is awaiting

moderation.

For more informations : my first mame is Rose bahana Phanitarline
    My last mame is Erdain . I am a single. State Haïti port-au prince. My pasport number is RM 50 7****and my phone number is 509 4929****

31. Jan 31/23.
    I am so gladfulyto find your site.First i am Haitian.I am definitely looking for a sponsor to support me for the process parole.
    For more informations :my first mame is jean Paulo;My last mame is Destin.I am single.my adress is #173 delmas entre 17 & 19/ state Haïti port au prince .My pasport number is R1029*****.and my number Phoneis 5094649****.
    The Haitian time has editedthis commment to remove the person’s phone number as a protective measure.