CAP-HAITIEN — As the Haitian government and the international community discussed providing assistance to end the country’s ongoing violence and gridlock over the last week, Haiti’s most notorious gang leader released a transition plan he says is necessary to avoid future lockdowns.
Jimmy "Barbecue" Chérizier, head of the Force Revolutionary G9 Family & Allies, told The Haitian Times in an exclusive interview about the six-page plan he released Oct. 2. This, despite him being seen widely as a major perpetrator of Haiti's gang violence and a key reason Haiti’s government requested armed support from abroad to wrest control of a key fuel facility from him.
“We need a solution that will last so that in one, two, three years, the country will not go back on lockdown,” Chérizier said during the Oct. 12 phone interview.
When you join The Haitian Times family, you’ll get unlimited digital access to high-quality journalism about Haiti and Haitians you won’t get anywhere else. We’ve been at this for 20 years and pride ourselves on representing you, our diaspora experience and a holistic view of Haiti that larger media doesn’t show you.
Join now or renew to get:
— Instant access to one-of-kind stories and special reports
— Local news from our communities (especially New York and Florida)
— Profiles of Haitians at the top of their fields
— Downloadable lists and resources about Haitian culture
— Membership merch, perks and special invitations
First-time subscribers also receive a special welcome gift handmade in Haiti by expert artisans! Do it for the culture and support Black-owned businesses.
If you’re seeing this message but you’re already a subscriber, you can log in for immediate access to this story.