A little girl and a man walk past the debris of homes that were burned during a gas explosion in Samari, Cap-Haitien. Photo by Onz Chery for The Haitian Times

CAP-HAITIEN — One early morning last March, as flames shot out of her restaurant, Marjorie Martin could not bear to watch her restaurant — and dreams — go up in flames. She had long thought about opening the Sublime Bar Restaurant, and the idea finally came to fruition in 2019. In one morning, all that she had worked for was lost in about three hours.

A month later, Martin is still mourning the loss of Sublime. Though the restaurant is located just a two-minute walk from the nearest fire station, it took firefighters more than three hours to arrive, because they didn’t have a battery in their truck, Martin said. 

Uh oh, it looks like you’ve hit a paywall! But don’t worry; we’ve got you covered. Here are a few ways you can access this story.

Email me at onz@haitiantimes.com
Onz Chery is a Haiti correspondent for The Haitian Times. Chery started his journalism career as a City College of New York student with The Campus. He later wrote for First Touch, local soccer leagues in New York and Elite Sports New York before joining The Haitian Times in 2019.