Josep María Bartomeu’s last act as the president of Barcelona was to announce the club’s participation in a European Super League.
Bartomeu revealed that Barça had signed up to the proposal during a 35 minute speech to confirm his resignation on Tuesday night. That involvement is subject to ratification and approval at a members’ assembly. The Catalan club have also agreed to a new format in the Fifa-led Club World Cup.
Last week, it was revealed that plans for a lucrative breakaway pan-European league involving top English clubs that would supersede the Champions League had been revived, with the banking giant JP Morgan being asked to seek financing for a new competition. The league would potentially comprise 18 teams – including five English sides and teams from Spain, Italy, Germany and France – and have no promotion and relegation, according to proposals reported first by the Spanish outlet Vozpopuli and by Sky News. Real Madrid, advised by the investment company Key Capital, are said to be behind a plan for a European Super League, first reported by Der Spiegel in 2018.
“I can announce some extraordinary news,” said Bartomeu. “Yesterday we accepted a proposal to participate in a future European Super League, which would guarantee the future financial sustainability of the club. And we’ve accepted the future CWC format.”
His statement was later criticised by La Liga president Javier Tebas, who described plans for a European Super League as “weak and imaginary” and declared it would bring ruin to clubs. Continue reading
Latest posts by Haitian Times (see all)
- Real Madrid chief slammed for Cristiano Ronaldo transfer as he’s given Kylian Mbappe advice. - Dec. 01, 2020
- Frank Lampard and Jose Mourinho take Chelsea and Tottenham rivalry up a notch - Nov. 30, 2020
- Cavani smells the goal’ – Fernandes not surprised by Man Utd striker’s immediate impact - Nov. 30, 2020