A lawsuit brought by three Haitian immigrants in Manhattan federal court against Constant claimed he sanctioned systematic rape to silence dissents against a right-wing regime. JOHN MCCONNICO AP File
Haitian death squad leader Emmanuel “Toto” Constant, who won a brief reprieve from deportation from the United States earlier this month when his removal was canceled by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, could be back in Haiti as early as next week.
Several sources with knowledge of Constant’s pending removal told the Miami Herald that the Trump administration is planning on deporting him on an upcoming ICE Air deportation flight that could arrive in Haiti as early as Tuesday.
One of Haiti’s most notorious human rights violators, Constant’s name — and that of the brutal paramilitary force he led in the 1990s — have long been synonymous with terror and death in Haiti.
A close friend of Raoul Cedras, the Haitian army general who led the 1991 coup against a newly elected President Jean-Bertrand Aristide, Constant founded the Front for the Advancement and Progress of Haiti while on the CIA’s payroll. The force, known by the acronym FRAPH, has been linked to the murders of at least 3,000 Aristide militants, previous Haitian authorities have said. Continue reading