When France went into lockdown due to the coronavirus, several Paris Saint-Germain players decided to return to their home countries to self-quarantine with family and friends.
While no one will fault them for doing what they thought is best for their family, some players who left France could find themselves unable to return in time for when Ligue 1 and the UEFA Champions League resumes.
On Monday, President Emmanuel Macron announced that France’s lockdown will continue until May 11. In his televised address to the nation, Macron also added that borders with non-European countries will remain closed until further notice. Last Friday, it was reported that Macron told trade unions that it’s possible the borders could be shut until September.
That last part is obviously important because of the players who have left France, which includes Neymar Jr., Thiago Silva, Edinson Cavani, Mitchel Bakker, Mauro Icardi, Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting, Thilo Kehrer, and Keylor Navas.
Of those players, Neymar, Cavani, and Navas are the ones who will be affected the most by Macron extending the travel ban as the other players are all isolated in European countries.
Silva left for Brazil with Neymar but he is a French citizen as of last year, so he would likely be able to return to the country with his passport in hand even if the ban is in place.
Latest posts by Samuel Louis (see all)
- New Barcelona interim president named after Bartomeu exit - Oct. 28, 2020
- Lionel Messi says he is now “less obsessed with goals” during this stage of his career and is more focused on being a team player. - Oct. 16, 2020
- Kathryn Mayorga’s Rape Case Against Cristiano Ronaldo to Go to Nevada Judge - Oct. 08, 2020