Title: Assistant Landscape Architect
NYC Parks is an award-winning city agency that designs and builds public spaces for New Yorkers to connect, play and enjoy. These public spaces, representing 30,000 acres or 14% of the city’s land, encompass natural areas, parks, playgrounds, beaches, ballfields, basketball courts, athletic fields and pools.
The Landscape Architecture unit in the Capital Division is the creative force that imagines and defines the aesthetics and usage of new and refurbished public spaces. These designs impact neighborhood growth, public health and fun in communities throughout the five boroughs of New York City. Selected candidates will have the opportunity to work on a wide gamut of assignments from a local park refurbishment to a complete redesign of newly acquired properties.
This position is a wonderful opportunity for a self-starter to deepen his/her design experience. This position will be part of a team made up of experienced design professionals working on a breadth of design projects, diverse in scale and complexity. The ideal candidate is excited about learning and participating in team discussions regarding design solutions. A quick learner, the successful candidate is able to take an idea to paper easily. Working on a portfolio of two to three projects, the successful candidate enjoys multi-tasking and working in various project-based team settings.
NYC Parks is one of the country’s largest employers of landscape architects. You will enjoy the camaraderie found at Parks while working for the public good. NYC Parks offers competitive pay and a generous benefits package that includes pension, excellent health benefits, competitive vacation/sick days and a healthy work-life balance. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. www.nyc.gov/parks.
- Under supervision, perform landscape architectural work of moderate difficulty and responsibility for the Capital Projects Division.
- Prepare landscape architectural contract drawings, specifications and estimates of quantities.
- Investigate and propose solutions to problems of grading, spatial organization and site utilization.
- Assist or lead the design development of existing conditions analysis, landscape plans and proposed additions.
- Assess and monitor progress of construction by reviewing and approving shop drawings and resolving design conflicts.
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in landscape architecture from an accredited college or university, accredited by regional, national, professional or specialized agencies recognized as accrediting bodies by the U.S. Secretary of Education and by the Council of Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and one year of full-time satisfactory experience in landscape architectural and one year of full-time satisfactory experience in landscape architectural work; or
- A valid New York Registration as a Landscape Architect.
Note: Landscape Architects with out-of-state registration are welcome to apply provided that reciprocal New York State registration is obtained prior to hire.
Note: A motor vehicle driver license valid in New York State may be required for certain assignments. If required, this license must be maintained for the duration of the assignment.
This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements.
- Proven ability as a contributing team member on landscape architectural projects.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, organizational abilities and self-motivation.
- Portfolio demonstrates proficiency in AutoCAD, Photoshop, Illustrator and 3D Rendering (link on resume to digital portfolio preferred).
- Adept at creating presentations in InDesign and PowerPoint.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel.
Salary: $57,078 – $65,640 plus excellent benefits
Work Location: Queens
Apply by 02/07/20*
For external applicants, please apply through www.nyc.gov/careers
- Go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search
- Search for Job ID#: 428073
For details about NYC Parks: www.nyc.gov/parks
References will be required upon request.
*Posting period extended to 02/07/20. Previous applicants to Job ID# 406332 are still under consideration and need not reapply.
Latest posts by Haitian Times (see all)
- Adulting 101: The Basics Everyone Should Know - Sep. 27, 2020
- 7 Early Red Flags in Relationships - Sep. 26, 2020
- 7 Ways to Keep Yourself Busy When You’re Stuck at Home - Sep. 25, 2020