Advertisements
Opinion, Under the Radar

Imagine What 2019 Could Be for Haiti

Port-au-Prince, Haiti

By Ed Gehy

Imagine 2019 is the year when Haiti would finally decide to uphold the same creeds which guided our ancestors some 200 years ago and stop being a laughing stock on the international stage.

Imagine 2019 is the year when the state apparatus is equipped with capable citizens and that widespread incompetence would become a thing of the past, and the country’s parliamentary body would consist of men and women, driven by a shared common goal and guided by a shared purpose, who would put the country’s interests first.

Imagine 2019 is the year when Haitian politicians running for public office do so by love of country, and not because they see politics as the only way for personal success.

Imagine 2019 is the year Haiti would finally be capable of having the right mechanism in place to  assess and regulate the state activities so that credible elections could be organized by and for Haitians free of foreign interference.

Imagine 2019 is the year Haiti decides to turn from its old ways and rid itself of this institutionalized and endemic corruption that has been systematically established in all state institutions.

Imagine 2019 is the year international aid dependency becomes a thing of the past; the country is able to stand on its own where Haitians would no longer have the need to go to neighboring Dominican Republic to live the most humiliating ways of life.

Imagine 2019 would be the year Haiti decides to invest in literacy so much so that the country’s electorate would be educated enough to choose its elected officials wisely and hold them accountable through their votes.

Imagine …  the populace would somehow refuse to accept the status quo for what they are, rather envision what they could have been.

While I understand these views may be subject to be dismissed as just a utopia, they are nevertheless my heartfelt sentiments and wishes for the country. I am hereby appealing to all those who long for the day to see this country getting back to its former glories to come together and work for the greater good. Imagine that…

Ed Gehy

Ed Gehy

Ed Gehy is an associate professor at Ashford University. He holds a bachelors degree in Agronomy from Iowa State University and an MBA from Capella University. For the past 10 years he’s worked in higher education, including serving as Dean of Academic Affairs at ITT Technical Institute.
Ed Gehy
Advertisements
Jan. 04, 2019

13 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Imagine What 2019 Could Be for Haiti”

1. Alexandra says:

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

2. Widza Bryant says:

I enjoyed reading your article. I do believe together (leaving behind self-interest) we could create a better Haiti; one where blatant imcompence is not glorified. As a Haitian/American professional, I know first hand that our people have potential. We need leaders who care enough to tap into the riches of our intellect and smartness to take the country to the next level. I am open for a challenge.

Dr. Bryant
    PA

3. Imagine a Haiti where people can drink clean water and not get sick. I am trying to make this happen in 2019. HEART for the Nations is interested in establishing a Ceramic Water Filter Factory in Haiti and needs help. If interested in this project please contact me.

• Ed Gehy says:

Hello Michelle, I would be interested in this project. This is a noble cause you are undertaking.
      Please send me details about your organization and project, and I would be honored to provide my participation.

Ed Gehy

4. Pepito Laventure says:

Thank you for this nice article ! I just shared it on my whatsup group of 300 Haitian members.

5. You all have dreams for Haiti!!! Great! Wonderful! Fantastic! What exactly are y”all prepared to do to make it happen!

• Ed Gehy says:

Beulah,

Good point. I have always devoted time and resources through diverse social organizations from way back when I was living in Haiti, and continued to do so here in the diaspora. I have invested in education ( Trade school) when I was the head of a non- profit. And I still continue to be active in the country’s development in whatever way I can.

Ed

6. Margareth Louis says:

Thank you Ed for not giving up on our beloved mother, Haiti. My daughter and I, along with everyone in our organization, Roots1804 shares your dream. Like you, we believe the time is now and it’s not by accident that we happened to fall upon your poem. You being an Agronomist, the youth in my organization would love an opportunity to speak with you! Even if it’s a few words of encouragement and advice. We would truly appreciate it. Please reach out by email so we can share our project with you.

7. Margareth Louis says: