Before I write a single word about autism, I would like to invite you to an Autism Health Fair (Helping Families with a Piece of the Puzzle) which will be held Sunday, September 25, 2011, from 1-5 pm at SUNY Downstate Medical Center, 395 Lenox Road, Brooklyn, NY 11203. For further information and directions call 718-270-3739.
Whether you are a parent, physician, social worker, nurse, psychiatrist or a caretaker, the conference will enlighten you on the many aspects of this condition. I’m sure that if you learn just one thing that you didn’t know, it will assist and enlighten you about autism. Quoting Thomas Fuller, an English clergyman, “If you have knowledge, let others light their candle to it.”
Dr. Peter Pigari, PsyD, who is clinical director of the League Treatment Center and an assistant professor at Downstate Medical Center, has written an extensive article entitled, “Identification, Education and Treatment of Individuals with Autistic Spectrum Disorders.” The material covered in this article will be discussed thoroughly by the staff at SUNY Downstate.
Autism is a condition that is more prevalent than one would expect. Following are some basic facts related to this condition:
• One percent of children ages 3-17 are afflicted;
• Prevalence 1 in 110 births;
• 10-17 percent annual growth in prevalence, no proven explanation for increase;
• $60 billion annual cost, 60 percent of costs in adult services;
• Cost of lifelong care can be reduced by 2/3 with early diagnosis and intervention;
• 56 percent of students with autism complete high school;
• No definitive medical tests for this disorder.
The conference will cover the following categories: identification, screening and diagnosis of autism; selection of educational and treatment goals; general educational principals; and widely used and accepted educational and treatment approaches.
This conference will include identification, screening and diagnosis of autism along with bringing important resources to the professional and lay populations. For those not able to attend this conference, information may be obtained by calling 718-270-3739 for further guidance.
For more health tips and access to an online community of physicians and other healthcare professionals visit: DrDeas.com/.
Latest posts by Haitian Times (see all)
- Places in the list of top destinations for retirees in 2020!!! - Jan. 22, 2021
- 5 TIPS FOR CHOOSING AN ONLINE COLLEGE - Jan. 22, 2021
- Atletico Madrid: Luis Suarez: The gift Barcelona gave to Atletico to win LaLiga Santander - Jan. 22, 2021