It’s rare that I write simply to share a recipe, but I thought I would share this wonderful way to incorporate our famous soup joumou as part of your fall meal. This recipe is Chef Stephan Durand’s Recipe. It’s a hit every time with both Haitian and non Haitian audiences. He has made me a convert to how I make my soup joumou. Try it.
Soup Giromond (veloute or bisque of pumpkin soup): recipe yields 20
– Calabasa Pumpkin 2-3 pieces depending on size. – Peeled and dice into small chunks
– Frozen Butternut Squash 1-2 packs
– Vegetable or Chicken stock
– 2 medium size Onion – diced small
– 1 stock of celery – diced small
– 3-4 carrots – diced small
– Fresh Thyme
– 1 scotch bonnet pepper
– Sea Salt
– Fresh ground black pepper
– 1 Maggie cube – only if using chicken stock or making a vegetarian dish
– Extra Virgin Olive oil 3 tbsp
– fresh garlic 3-4 cloves
– Fresh Grated Ginger 1 tbsp
– Half and Half.
– Butter cold
– All purpose flour
In a soup pot heat up olive oil and sautee vegetables (mirapoix) carrots, celery, onions until soft. Add garlic and ginger and continue to sauté, season well with salt and pepper.
Add Maggie cube, than add chicken stock, fresh thyme, and scotch bonnet pepper. Add the cut calabasa pumpkin with the chicken stock and bring to a boil than let simmer until pumpkin is fork tender. Using a blender, blend all of the content of the pot and run through a paswa. bring everything back to he original pot and add butternut squash. Add half and half and bring back to a boil. Lower temp and let simmer for at least 30 minutes.To finish and thicken the soup add roux. To prepare a roux (cold) mix flour and cold butter just like if you were making a dough. Add mixture of flour and butter slowly while whisking so that there is no lumps, slowly raise temp back to a small boil so that roux can take affect and thicken the soup. You want soup to coat the spoon and be velvety.
Fleurimond is the owner & business manager of Fleurimond Catering, Inc., www.fgcatering.com, an off-premise catering firm serving the NY/NJ/CT/MA areas. For questions and comments you may write her at [email protected] Please submit thoughts and questions pertaining to the column via email.
Latest posts by Haitian Times (see all)
- How Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi made El Clasico his playground - Oct. 23, 2020
- Zidane’s future is in the hands of his players - Oct. 23, 2020
- How are Chelsea’s six new signings getting on? - Oct. 23, 2020