Uncategorized

11227332

The air that we breathe daily is made up of several life-giving gases, among them, oxygen, hydrogen, nitrogen and carbon dioxide. When these gases react with one another, they produce substances that are essential for life on this planet. For example, when one part of oxygen reacts with two parts of hydrogen, water is produced (H20). When plants take up carbon dioxide produced by living creatures, they give off oxygen, which is essential for life.
It is therefore obvious that we need plants to survive on this planet. If plants die, we all die. Please be kind to plants and trees.
There is a gas I didn’t mention that is produced in our homes by water heaters, gas stoves, heating systems and dryers. This gas is carbon monoxide. The unique property of this gas is that it can displace oxygen in the blood. The red material in the blood is made up of hemoglobin, which carries oxygen to all of the organs in the body and is used for fuel. When carbon monoxide is present, it replaces the oxygen, which causes death to cells in the body.
Carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless, tasteless and difficult to detect unless you have a carbon monoxide detector, which all homes should be supplied with. Often, when a house is completely winterized and becomes airtight with sealed windows and doors, carbon monoxide can build up and cause death. Warning! Do not cover windows completely with plastic for this will not allow some outside air to enter. Often, just a window slightly open will ensure adequate ventilation.
Carbon monoxide poisoning often mimics flu-like symptoms such as nasal stuffiness, fatigue, headaches, nausea and a feeling of light-headedness. Do not be fooled by these symptoms. It is important to realize that carbon monoxide may be the cause of these symptoms.
Since it is difficult to detect carbon monoxide’s presence, it is important to place carbon monoxide detectors in your home at all floor levels.
I recall an incident that occurred while I was working in the emergency room of a city hospital, I observed a family of five returning weekly with chronic cough, difficulty breathing and headaches. They were treated for flu symptoms and sent home. When they returned to the ER, and a more detailed history was taken, it was revealed that they were living in an unheated house, using the stove to provide much needed warmth. It was also related that the furnace in the basement was not working properly. Oh, by the way, they had also purchased a kerosene stove. It was evident to me that the likely cause of these symptoms was carbon monoxide. I immediately called a social worker to see whether this family could be housed temporarily in a local motel while their home was being investigated by the health department for the presence of this deadly gas. I’m sure lives were saved.
Remember, upper respiratory symptoms can also mimic carbon monoxide poisoning. All homes should be equipped with carbon monoxide and smoke detectors.

For more health tips and access to an online community of physicians and other healthcare professionals visit: DrDeas.com

Haitian Times

Haitian Times

The Haitian Times was founded in 1999 as a weekly English language newspaper based in Brooklyn, NY.The newspaper is widely regarded as the most authoritative voice for Haitian Diaspora.
Haitian Times
May. 05, 2012

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *